Pediatric Post Op Care & Pediatric Shoes | Pediatric Walking Boot
Why Kids Need Post-Op Footwear
Surgery and serious injuries can be very traumatic and frustrating for kids. Suddenly, they are forced to deal with limitations that impose on their freedom to play, run around and engage in physical activities.
With post-op footwear from Healthy Feet Store, children can participate in more of their usual activities. With the help of pediatric post-op shoes or kids cast walking boots, they can walk and play without causing themselves pain, damaging their cast or worsening an injury. This type of footwear provides a protective shield for the healing process and reduces some of the frustration associated with having to endure a serious injury.
How to Choose the Right Size for a Pediatric Cast Shoe
Post-op and cast shoes for kids are usually one size fits all from preschool to youth. Thanks to adjustable straps, it's easy to ensure a snug fit that stays put regardless of the child's foot size.
Before settling on a design, measure the dimension of the cast or bandaging around the foot. The extra thickness of the cast will be much larger than your child's regular shoe size. Compare the measurements of the shoe with the cast measurements before placing your order.
Important Features to Look for in Pediatric Post-Op Footwear
Pediatric post-op footwear is an investment. A good quality shoe will protect and guide healing without making life harder on kids and their parents. At Healthy Feet Store, we offer only high-quality brands and styles which have been doctor-recommended for kids healing from a serious foot injury. The following are a few important features to look for when purchasing any kind of pediatric post-op footwear.
- Rigid or semi-rigid sole: Kids love to jump, run and play. Surgery or an injury will not stop the most rambunctious and active children. To ensure the healing process is not railroaded and that they do not injure themselves further, make sure the post op shoe is sturdy and will not give in under pressure.
- Adjustable straps: With hook and loop fastener straps, there should be enough leeway to find a supportive but comfortable fit. The boot should not be too tight or constraining. That said, a boot that is too loose is also a problem and may easily slip off or slow the healing process.
- Non-slip outsole: A high-quality post-op boot will have a slip-resistant outsole on the bottom. This is crucial for preventing further injury, especially for children who struggle with balance and slowing down.
- Washable parts: Where there are children, there is a high chance of messiness and dirt. Having washable parts in the cast boot will ensure parents can keep things sanitary and stop the growth of any bacteria. Especially in footwear, sweating and playground germs are a risk. Washable parts can make the cleaning process much easier.
- Shock-absorbing technology: This is one of the most important features to have in a post-op boot. Shock-absorbing foam or padding can take much of the pressure of movement, weight and walking off of the injured foot, minimizing pain and straining on the joint. This feature is especially important for bone and muscle injuries.
- Pairs or singles: Before buying, note that some brands offer post-op shoes in pairs (as in one shoe per foot) or in singles. Buying a pair may be unnecessary for your needs and more expensive.
Find the right boots for your child's needs by browsing our selection pediatric cast shoes and post-op pediatric walking boots at Healthy Feet Store. In addition to carrying a variety of sizes and styles, we offer FREE shipping and FREE returns and exchanges with every purchase. You can count on us to provide high-quality shoes that are safe for kids.